Thursday, May 11, 2006

The time I nearly got into a fight in the subway

June 30th 2005

I was returning from the comic jam and I was alone in the subway (alone in the sense that no friends were there but there was subway commuters). Then for no reason, just because they're were standing there, two Middle-Eastern teens (probably from North Africa from the accent) started insulting two homosexuals.
Now, personnally, I wouldn't have known they were gay. They were metrosexual for sure, but so many hetero dress like that. But it does seem they were gay because they didn't take kindly to the insult and one of them started to ask the two teens to show some respect. And in the circumstances, the guy was polite.
Now starring at the verbal fight happening right next to me, my instinct are telling to get the fuck away from there. Or even call a security guard.
But the two teens didn't appreciate having a "faggot" stand to them, it was apparent it was gonna get ugly very fast and nobody was gonna do anything (you know how crowds are in the city). So I told those two teens that this was enough and that if this broke into a fight and the police had to come, they'd be the ones in trouble. They said they didn't care, but they had too, it was now two against three.

Now, maybe that's the part that wasn't too smart. I don't know if these guys were Christians or Muslims, but coming from North Africa with an attitude like that, they're not atheists. So I told them "We live in Quebec here, and people have rights!"
Now THAT pissed them off. It might sound racist, but it's true. When in Rome, do as the Romans. Canada isn't a cavehole in Afghanistan, it's a civilized country and there is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Wether they were born here or not makes no difference. That's the mistake of multiculturalism, the mistake of accepting the flaws that come with a culture, out of respect. That's one thing I do admire in the USA, it's the assimilation. You adapt, you change or you stay away.
But anyway, then came the subway, some other guy came and told them to forget it and walk away, so they started insulting that guy too. We all got out in different wagons and it was over.

Well, not quite over. Those two guys got off at the same stop as I did. Nothing happend. But being alone I was quite nervous and watched my back to make sure I wasn't being followed. I was taller and much bigger than those guys, but still, you never know. Someone could carry a weapon or get you from behind.

I'm still not sure if I did the right thing. Probably, I feel I did. There was a lot of people there, so it sent a message. But it was still risky. It's weird this had to happend the same week as the gay marriage thing. Does this happend often? I don't think so. Then again, I don't get out that much.
So you see you Americans out there, there's asshole too in Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home