Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Little Nezha Fights Great Dragon Kings

I saw this cartoon only once, some 20 years ago on TV. This Chinese animation from 1979 tells the story of Nezha (pronounced "Ni yah"), a human prince who looks like an asian drag-queen who picks up a fight with evil dragons. It's a great kid's film, but it wouldn't have marked me so much but for one fucked up scene. (Spoiler: The dragon gods ask the king for his son's life, but he is incapable of killing him. Seeing his friend's suffer the dragon's wrath, Nezha picks up his father's sword and cuts his own throat.) There's quite obviously an analogy to communism in there, with The People fighting against the corrupt gods. The english dubbing isn't very good.
Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7
When you have three heads, four arms, wheels of fire, a magic scarf and a spear, you can't cannot kick some ass. The shocking scene is in part 5 if you can't wait.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"[Nezha] looks like an asian drag-queen[.]"

Which is good because asian drag-queens are *hot*!

Nezha's a bit too cutsy for me though.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...though I have to admit that Nezha did look kinda sexy fighting while wearing nothing but that red slip. (Yeah, I know the boy's six, but anybody who can pull a spine out of a dragon can enforce "No means no.")

Something I've wondered about these pro-communist fables. If it's supposed to be about the People, why is the big bad defeated by a single hero?

2:51 AM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

It's an analogy for communism, so it doesn't work. ;-)

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that! Nezha doesn't take shit from anybody!

I've heard many times that the Smurfs were also a metaphor for Communism. With little red Papa Smurf being Lenin, and Gargamel being greedy Capitalism. Make of it what you will.

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/potatofarm/smurf.html

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the analogue in mind, I think Nezha looks a bit like a younger, thinner Mao.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

Thanks for linking this! I really enjoyed it. I sorely miss 2D animation, but that's just me.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home