Monday, November 17, 2008

Miss Dynamite webcomic project

It's been over a week, so I've deleted the election blackmail comic. If you've missed it, tough luck! (seriously, it's not hard to find online)

This little event made me realise I haven't drawn Miss Dynamite comics since Faster, Dynamite! Kill! Kill! and that was like 3 years ago. I wanted to take some time to concentrate on animation, which I did, with 8 animated episodes. I think one of the reasons episode 24 is taking so much time is because I'm getting a bit sick of Flash. So much can go wrong in animation. There's also a lot of aspects of the job that are attrociously boring (sound editing). If technology fails, and it often does, I'm skrewed and there's no animation. With comics, my hard drive can crash, burn and esplode, big deal. All I need is a pencil and some paper. When I started seriously drawing Miss Dynamite comics, I used the photocopy machine at the drug store for image editing because I had no scanner. The family's home computer was a 486 only working on DOS anyway.

The anime is nice and I'm not gonna stop doing it. And I am going to finish episode 24, don't worry. But the anime doesn't provide much web traffic to my site. I get peaks when I release a new episode, but that happens perhaps twice a year. Miss Dynamite fans have to wait over 6 months, if not a year, just for 3 to 5 minutes of storylines. That's almost as bad as Battlestar Galactica... (oh snap!) With a webcomic, I could produce one or two pages a week. And if one page of comic is worth one minute of animation as far as the storyline goes, I'd progress a lot further with a comic. I like telling stories, and animation forces me to limit myself a lot. The Sister Dynamite sword fight was epic, but it took almost a year for just a few shots of frame-by-frame.

I want to draw Miss Dynamite comics again. And not something shitty like the failure of a webcomic I tried years ago. Something of the quality of Faster, Dynamite! Kill! Kill! Not strips, but pages. A real storyline, plotted and (mostly) written in advance. Yeah, my last try was a total failure. But it was half-assed and not much of a try. If this generates enough traffic, the ad revenues could make this worth it. I could also auction the originals. The more bucks this would generate, the less I would have to work on other things. It's the worth the try at least. And I think I've aquired some experience with regular updates by working on Sister Wulfia Focka.

I have no idea when I would start this. Perhaps in Spring. I already have ideas for stories. Still gotta finish episode 24. I had thought of a Twiggy animated trilogy, like I did with the Pu Sisters, but that's not gonna happen.

23 Comments:

Blogger Darlo (John Darlington) said...

In the past people have asked me if I prefer things in comic or animation form and the answer I normally give is both. Both have their own charms, set-backs and uniqueness.

I can totally appreciate where you're coming from (I too 86'd an anime in favour of doing a webcomic), so I can't wait to see how the story progresses.

Gluck!

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the cheesecake, nothing brings in the views like a lil' T n' A.

And I'm not saying it just for my own hedonistic pleasure, but because I care about you, the artist, and your self esteem.

Seriously though, do whatever, however, in whichever format you like.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

When have I not provided teh T'n'A? :-T

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes please!

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God. And by God I mean you Sirkowski.

Also its about bloody time, I waited forever to read the ending to "the bitch, the comrade, and the lesbian" And every day after its release I checked the web site for a new comic, For like three years. How I manged to do that AND have a life is beyound me. Presonaly I would have given it up to see a new Eva comic.

A few Ideas for your web comic Eva's Origns would be cool. I have a running pool with my friends that she is ex-spetznaz or possibly GRU.(I'll give you half the take if I win) OR a Metal Gear Solid crossover, Secret fantasy of seeing Eva and Blackie in sneaking suits.

Still any thing will lots of guns and blood will work as Eva has been a major moral support to us here in Dakar.

Mercenaries unite!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

I have a project about Eva's origins. But that's for much later.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Davidchu said...

I understand that you are tired to make animations.
It is many job to produce just some minutes of film.
I felt the same way when I stopped programming video games to return to the comics.
When we draw a comics, we have more the feeling to advance.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Captain Important said...

This sounds like a really good idea, you will make millions. :)

If you're doing long form, however, my unsolicited advice would be to make the stories self contained so that if you get sick of doing webcomics (and it's almost guaranteed you will get sick of them at some point) or you need some time to work on something else, you can take a hiatus and not have to worry about finishing out some huge epic storyline.

So what's the tone going to be? Cartoonish and funny like the animes or semi-serious like the older comics were?

3:51 PM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

A mix of the two, like Faster, Dynamite! Kill! Kill!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, come on, I actually enjoyed those strips :)

Its good that your starting with comics, and I agree, if animation goes wrong, then the whole thing is ruined. I think its a good idea to start when your finished with the episode 24 and continue in comic form from there.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty exciting I'm looking forward to it.

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me as well, making comics is a joy and making animation is hell. Animation takes so long for so short a result. However, people do love animation, and after I see the finished result of an animation I always feel it was worth the effort. It just takes a lot to get there.

I try to do a comic a week and work on flash inbetween when I can, You might try a new Miss Dynamite page each week.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a big fan of Sister Wulfia and her red-skinned pal I wholeheartedly back the idea of a Miss Dynamite comic. I only hope it'll be half as good as the holy whore's adventures. :D

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant wait to see the new MD webcomic. Its okay if the animated episodes come slower. Also maybe you will make so much money with the webcomic you can hire someone to do the animations and we your loyal fans will have both :-D

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank the Æsir,you've decided to return to making webcomics.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

Yes, I need a sweat shop of non-union laborers!

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missed it :'( and your lying, I can't find it anywhere, lol!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious, how does getting paid for hosting ads work online, do you know? I know how it works with tv; the company behind producing the ad pays the tv station a few thousand dollars to run their ad few for a few day weeks or months when their time expires they have to pay to get their ad back on that station or they get replaced. But I never learned how it works online, I assume it's the same or on a per click basis.

Also and yes seriously here, how would I go about applying for a job in your new empire? I need a job and I'm so damn sick and tired of the typical crap jobs available to low some joe blue collars like myself.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

For Google AdSense, it works on a pay per click basis, relative to the number of times an ad banner is viewed (I don't know the exact math, I never could figure it out anyway).

As for jobs...
JOBLESS MEN
KEEP GOING

Sorry, no openings at the moment. :-p

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you once told me you thought Miss Dynamite wouldn't survive 9/11, but instead went up a notch in the webverse; also, I believe you develop quite an intelligencia about terrorism, and I'd always appreciate the tidbits you included about some of the characters in your strips or webcomics...

I'm not sure how you could profit from Eva (ransom ?) but there's a valuable idea being her and of course, don't forget Blackie! ;o)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

You sure I said that?

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sirkowski,

Yes, a webcomic would be fucking awesome. Especially if you had constant updates like you do with sister wolfia focka (sp, sorry) anywho, I wanted so say that if you do do constant updates, you're goal should be to develop a fanbase. You should already have somewhat of a strong fanbase already, now you need to refine it so that it can pull in a constant stream of hits (which with the ads, will make the shit pay for itself). I'd suggest a forumn. I know you already have one, but it's not good enough. Nobody really wants to talk too much about the respective series. You need to have a forumn devoted to each series. the forumn should be easily tied to the Dynamite homepage, so one can navigate back and forth easily, and the forumn should have a point. Like An RP section for rp people, a video game section maybe... (It'd be cool to have a dynamite video game... code it in flash PWEASE??)

Anyways, yeah. Just wanted to drop in my few cents.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Heavyoak said...

yea I missed the comic, dang.

can you post in as an comment on my blog?

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home