Tuesday, August 07, 2007

New Pu Tang pinup + Not going to the Toronto FANeXpo

I've been going to the Toronto Expo each summer for the past 4 years, but I won't be going this year. And I doubt I'll return to that particular con. If I go to Toronto in 2008, it'll be to Anime North or something, but not the Expo.

First I had decided last year that I wasn't going to Toronto this year. The last trip was a huuuge fucking hassle. Shitty bus ride, shitty hostel, it's a wonder we even got there. Second, a table in artist alley is 200$ this year. Holy shit this con is a real con! Add the price for transport and lodging, it's a sure bet I'd be losing money by attending. And they don't want to invite me because I do hentai. Third, even if I was invited, I'd rather not go. The Expo has a reputation for disloyal competition. Threatening of banning exhibitors who go to other conventions. Organizing free one-day conventions during competing conventions. Fourth, people don't buy books, comics or mangas at the Expo. Last year I noticed almost nobody was carrying any books. People were buying toys, video games and that's about it. And most of this is for sale in stores all year long anyway. Jesus christ, don't buy fucking Pokeys for 10$ at the convention. They sell them for 2$ in Chinatown...

So for all these reasons, fuck it. Maybe next year, but somewhere else.

Edit: btw, Pokeys are shit.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man what they doing to you is plain and utter bullshit! I bet those fuckwads are giving invitations to peddlers that sell shitty h-anime like Star Ballz. I'm still thinking about going this because there's some comics I'm trying to find.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club. I'm not going this year since everything was so expensive. I've been going for 3 years and I've had enough of it.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

I wonder how many people are not going.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Trace.Reading said...

It's too bad you can't get an invite to a respectable event like Otakon or MAGfest.

I know there's a whole shitload of difficulties involved (this year Sakimoto and EMINENCE were guests and their time got switched around) but all in all east coast seems to be a good place for hosting events.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sirk already know since we shared our accomodations last year, but i'm not going either. If you don't work on something that's a franchise of a movie or a comic, nobody is interrested. Paradise would be my choice for 2008.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I mean Paradise, the convention...

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a pokey?

3:21 AM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

Apparently I made a typo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky
Pocky.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Trace.Reading said...

Pocky...mmm...

It's a biscuit stick wrapped in chocolate. I still have the empty box from the last Pocky I had. Not that impressed with the taste but it's...

They must put something in the biscuit to make you want more.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's crack! Pocky is crack!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. Pocky is pronounced "Pokey". I can buy that stuff on every block over here. It's okay but nothing to be obsessed about.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kai v3.0 said...

Pocky...mmm...

It's a biscuit stick wrapped in chocolate. I still have the empty box from the last Pocky I had. Not that impressed with the taste but it's...

They must put something in the biscuit to make you want more.

DROOL yum Pocky!

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a few people I know might not be going this year.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can sell your stuff cheap to either Schibsted or Egmont in Norway, you'd probably get invited to Raptus :D

10:22 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

What would be worse is that the con people did invite you but swindled you into paying your own expenses. I've read about that sort of assholery at Randy's Something Positive web site.

In 2008, I'll be going to MAGFest in Virginia. It will be my first time going there, my first video game con, and my first time flying in a plane since I was 4. All I know is that this con had better be worth the money.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Sirkowski said...

Unless you're a guest of honor, you pay for most of your expenses when you're a guest.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Trace.Reading said...

See you there, Lexi. :P

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a shame. I recall seeing you around the past couple of years at FanExpo, won't feel the same without your booth/table there.

But if it's really that much of a bitch, yea just fuck it. $10 pocky is indeed bullshit.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home